Massive Mother's Day Weekend

Friday morning we woke up excited to be picking up my mother from the airport. We hustled around, getting dressed and ready to go, only to end up waiting over an hour before it was actually time to pick up Dramaw. The waiting was excruciating. There is a very special bond between my mother and me, as I have blogged about before. She’s not just my mom, but my best friend. The one person I confide all in.
We arrived at the airport early with plenty of time to grab a couple of muffins while we waited for her plain to taxi in. The kids were ecstatic to see Dramaw. They both ran to her, throwing their arms out and around her as she stepped out of the gate. We had waited months for this visit with only video calls with them web cam to wet our appetites. It was so good seeing her in the flesh, being able to wrap our arms around her and plant big kisses on her.
When we got home Mom dug out the gifts for the babies, tons of Avatar action figures and a motor car. That wasn’t near enough spoiling for Dramaw though, and we set out looking for the best deal on outdoor play sets. It took hours of driving around trying to find just the right one, but at last she finally found the one that had everything she had envisioned for her babies. The hubz spent the rest of the day putting it together while she and the kids splashed around in the kiddie pool she had bought on top of everything else.

The next day while Bubby napped we had a nice girls day checking out a few stores at the mall then picking up a few things at Wally-World then heading back home to enjoy the new swing set before the sun set.
Yes... that's the Dane in the sand box >.<
Mother’s day was blissful. We spent most of the day laying out in the hot sun (I have a nice burn to show for it) and playing with the kids. The Hubz coordinated the kids into giving us cards and gifts (mine being a books-a-million gift card) then put the Bubbers down for a nap while we played out in the yard, and gossiped about all the things that had not come up in our nightly calls. Topics such as my Granddad falling in love with my Grandmother all over again and proposing that she marry him again. How awesome is that! That sparked a long conversation of all the things we would like to do for their second wedding. This kept us distracted from the glare of the sun until we were both crispy critters and we ooched and ouched to the showers.

Then Mom watched the kids and the Hubz and I went out for a date (the first in a very long time.) We took the bike out for a ride until the heat and wind became too unbearable for my allergies (I’m still paying for it today) then he took me to the bookstore to spend my gift card where I found yet another book on writing and a young adult book that should keep me reading for quite some time, and finally we enjoyed subway by the lake before returning to our little monsters. To most that may not sound like much of a date, but it was wonderful for us.
I dreaded getting up today because we had to take Dramaw back to the airport. Where did the weekend go? It went by so darned fast! I harassed Mom to stay with us just a few more days while she packed, and threatened several times not to take her to the air port. We had a few hours to spare and killed those eating pancakes at Ihop, where I continued to badger Mom not to leave. There just wasn’t enough time, it was just a teaser.
Finally we gave in, and made our way to the air port where we saw off Dramaw, giving her plenty of hugs and kisses.
Although I’m dog tired today, I still can’t figure out where my weekend went. It sped right by! I didn’t get ANY writing done, but my super short visit with mom has filled my inspirational cup somewhat, and I feel as if I have just enough to maybe finish WF.
How was your mother’s day? Did you do anything special?
Here’s to the fantastic mamas out there! Hope you had the best day!


Popular Posts